At this year’s mystery dinners (October 19-20, 2012) at the library, there was more mystery than we bargained for. During the adult program (last Friday), an automatic fire alarm was triggered. Attendees and staff observed a smoky haze in the MPL Community Room, and the smell of “hot” electrical circuitry was also reported.
Several fire companies responded from Brown and Madison Townships (Morgan County), and after extensive searching and testing, they were unable to locate any electrical fault or fire sources. Everything was in perfect working order! There was “buzzing” when certain light switches were turned on, suggesting ballast problems. An electrician who was consulted said that this could explain the “hot” wiring odor and even the “haze.”
Because of the fire alarm and appurtenant interruptions, the adult mystery dinner, in the words of Meghan Adams, MPL adult programming coordinator, went “up in flames,” so to speak. Meghan was able to take a few photos of the firefighters, however.
Firefighters quickly respond and investigate the mysterious fire alarm during last Friday’s adult mystery dinner. (All photos by Meghan Adams)
Fortunately, last Saturday’s teen mystery dinner came off without any hitches. Participants, who dressed in character (and costume), were given a series of clues in a dozen or more library areas, which they had to find to solve the mystery and find the “killer(s).” They appeared to successfully uncover the assailant, whose capture was documented in the following photos (by Meghan Adams).