If the Indiana Room is locked, please consult library staff at the Circulation Desk.
INDIANA ROOM STAFF HOURS:
Mondays & Wednesdays: 12-8 pm
Tuesdays & Thursdays: 9 am-5 pm
2nd & 3rd Fridays: 9 am-5 pm
1st & 4th Saturdays: 9 am-4 pm (ask at the adult information desk)
OUR INDIANA ROOM COLLECTIONS
- Books & magazines about Indiana subjects.
Local & State History
- Emphasis on Mooresville & Morgan County history; Indiana history resources; Yearbooks for Mooresville schools; Microfilm (local newspapers, magazines); Vertical files (local & state history).
- Learn about Morgan County’s historical structures in the Morgan County Interim Report (Indiana Historic Sites & Structures Inventory), published by the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. (Paper copies are available in the MPL Indiana Room–check our Evergreen Indiana online catalog for shelving call numbers.)
- Ancestry Library Edition online genealogy & history database (onsite use only); Heritage Quest online genealogy & history database; Legacy Links (online local obituary database); Morgan County cemetery records; Local obituary card files & newspaper clippings; Vertical files (family histories, genealogies); Local family histories (books); Microfilm (genealogy); Other genealogical materials.
LOCAL HISTORY BLOG
- Mooresville, Indiana “Treasure Trove” blog archives share a wealth of historical tidbits, focusing primarily on the history of Mooresville and Morgan County, Indiana.
- Virtual Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Mooresville, Indiana.
LOCAL HISTORY VIDEOS
- Playlist of MPL’s “treasure trove” of local history videos.
DIGITAL HOOSIER NEWSPAPERS
Indiana’s digital historic newspaper program, Hoosier State Chronicles, has many hard-to-find old newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries available online.
SANBORN MAPS ONLINE
The Library of Congress has digitized some of its Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, which are now available online. These maps show the locations of businesses and houses in various American towns from the 1800s onward. This is an invaluable resource for anyone doing local historical research. Additional maps may be found online on the Indiana University Spatial Data Portal.
FAMOUS HOOSIER BOOKLIST
Click here to see a booklist of biographies about some famous Hoosiers, and books by Hoosier authors, that we have in our Evergreen Indiana catalog. The booklist was prepared by Kerry Ware.
Grade 4 students and teachers! Explore Indiana art and learn its relationship to Indiana history at the ArtSmart: Indiana website.
Click the Logo (Above) to Learn More
ANCESTRY LIBRARY EDITION
Available at the Library (Click Image to Access Database)
(Funded by the Friends of Mooresville Public Library)
NOTE: You MUST be physically ON THE LIBRARY CAMPUS
(connected to our computer network or wireless) to access ALE
FAMILY HISTORY & GENEALOGY RESEARCH
Extensive genealogical and family history research may be done at the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division (in downtown Indianapolis) and at Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center (in Fort Wayne, Indiana). Visit the U.S. Census Bureau web site for U.S. Census information. Many valuable research tips and resources are available on the Indiana Genealogical Society blog and website.
INDIANA STATE LIBRARY GENEALOGY DIVISION
The Indiana State Library Genealogy Division has one of the largest genealogy and family history collections in the Midwest. Click here to learn more about their “family search” service.
The ISL Genealogy Division and the Rare Books and Manuscripts Division have transitioned to a new online catalog. The catalog allows users to search over 5,300 records containing millions of items. Click here to read more and to access the catalog.
MORGAN COUNTY (INDIANA) GENEALOGY/FAMILY HISTORY
The MPL Indiana Room focuses upon local (i.e., Morgan County) family histories but has additional genealogical resources available through our web site (e.g., Heritage Quest Online), on the library campus (e.g., Ancestry Library Edition), and in our print collections.
- Morgan County Public Library has a searchable cemetery database for interments in Morgan County, Indiana, as well as a searchable obituary finder and probate index for Morgan County. The Indiana State Library Genealogy Division has a searchable statewide cemetery locator index, which provides call numbers to cemetery records in the ISL collections.
- Morgan County History & Genealogy Association has a website featuring historical photos, cemetery records, Find-a-Grave records for Morgan County, church histories, family histories, government land sales, census records, biographies, maps, military records, migration database, ghost towns, news clippings, newsletters, archives, and other information pertaining to Morgan County, Indiana. (Also visit the MCH&GA Facebook page for helpful information).
- INGenWeb, part of the USGenWeb Project, has a site devoted to Morgan County genealogical resources.
- OBITUARIES–MORGAN COUNTY FUNERAL HOMES
BOOK A GENEALOGY LIBRARIAN @ MCPL
Morgan County Public Library’s genealogy department (at the Martinsville main branch) offers a wonderful service for those researching genealogy and family history. You may “book a genealogy librarian” to assist you or your group in your research. Click the graphic above (or click here) to learn more.
GENEALOGY RESEARCH FOR HIRE
Need to hire a genealogist to research your ancestry from Morgan County (or elsewhere)? Check with the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division or the Morgan County History & Genealogy Association.
INDIANA HISTORY ONLINE
Visit the following websites for digitized articles, images, links, and other information and resources regarding Hoosier history:
- Indiana Magazine of History website
- Indiana Historical Society website
- Indiana Historical Bureau website
- Indiana State Library website
- Indiana University Spatial Data Portal: Indiana Sanborn Historic Maps, 1883-1966
SEARCH INDIANA ARCHIVES
Search millions of records housed within the Indiana Archives by using the Research Indiana Catalog, which simplifies the process of searching the Archives’ collection by providing listings of more than a quarter of a million holdings. Some of these commonly sought-after materials include Indiana military, immigration, institutional and vital records.
INDIANA STATE MUSEUM LIBRARY PASS
Use your Evergreen Indiana library card to check-out the Indiana State Museum Library Pass, entitling up to four persons to free general admission, parking discounts, and more! Click the video below for further information. 2018 UPDATE: In addition to the Indiana State Museum, the ISM Library Pass is now accepted at 11 state historic sites. The hours for the State Museum are now Tuesday – Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. They are closed on Mondays.
CLICK (ABOVE) TO WATCH ISM PROMO TRAILER
EITELJORG MUSEUM PASS
Use your Evergreen Indiana library card to check-out the Eiteljorg Museum Pass, entitling you to FREE admission for up to four adults, plus an unlimited number of children or grandchildren age 17 or younger. Free parking is available in the White River State Park garage when you use the pass. Click here to learn more.