If the Indiana Room is locked, please consult library staff at the
Adult Information Desk or the Circulation Desk.
ANCESTRY LIBRARY EDITION
Available at the Library (Click Image to Access Database)
(Funded by the Friends of Mooresville Public Library)
NOTE: You MUST be physically ON THE LIBRARY CAMPUS
(connected to our computer network or wireless) to access ALE
FAMILY HISTORY & GENEALOGY RESEARCH
Watch these informative videos (below) showcasing some of the resources available at the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division and providing helpful tips in preserving family heirlooms.
“Sammy Researches Genealogy at the Indiana State Library,”
Starring Sammy the Toucan (former MPL youth services spokescritter) (2014)
(NOTE: Headphones Recommended)
“Preserving Family Heirlooms,” by Stephanie Gowler, Conservator,
Indiana State Library (2013)
The MPL Indiana Room focuses upon local (i.e., Morgan County) family histories but has additional genealogical resources available through our web site (e.g., Heritage Quest Online), on the library campus (e.g., Ancestry Library Edition), and in our print collections. More extensive research may be done at the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division (in downtown Indianapolis) and at Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center (in Fort Wayne, Indiana). Visit the U.S. Census Bureau web site for U.S. Census information. For an introduction to the sources and services available for family history research at the Indiana State Library, watch this webinar.
- Morgan County Public Library has a searchable cemetery database for interments in Morgan County, Indiana, as well as a searchable obituary finder for Morgan County. The Indiana State Library Genealogy Division has a searchable statewide cemetery locator index, which provides call numbers to cemetery records in the ISL collections.
- Morgan County History & Genealogy Association has a website featuring cemetery records, church histories, family histories, government land sales, census records, biographies, maps, military records, migration database, ghost towns, news clippings, newsletters, archives, and other information pertaining to Morgan County, Indiana. Also visit the MCH&GA Facebook page.
- INGenWeb, part of the USGenWeb Project, has a site devoted to Morgan County genealogical resources.
GENEALOGY RESEARCH FOR HIRE
Need to hire a genealogist to research your ancestry from Morgan County (or elsewhere)? Check with the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division or the Morgan County History & Genealogy Association.
INDIANA HISTORY ONLINE
Visit the following websites for digitized articles, images, links, and other information and resources regarding Hoosier history:
- Indiana Magazine of History website
- Indiana Historical Society website
- Indiana Historical Bureau website
- Indiana State Library website
OUR INDIANA ROOM COLLECTIONS
- Books & magazines about Indiana subjects.
Local & State History
- Emphasis on Mooresville & Morgan County history; Indiana history resources; Yearbooks for Mooresville schools; Microfilm (local newspapers, magazines); Vertical files (local & state history).
- Learn about Morgan County’s historical structures in the Morgan County Interim Report (Indiana Historic Sites & Structures Inventory), published by the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. (Paper copies are available in the MPL Indiana Room–check our Evergreen Indiana online catalog for shelving call numbers.)
- Ancestry Library Edition online genealogy & history database (onsite use only); Heritage Quest online genealogy & history database; Legacy Links (online local obituary database); Morgan County cemetery records; Local obituary card files & newspaper clippings; Vertical files (family histories, genealogies); Local family histories (books); Microfilm (genealogy); Other genealogical materials.
MPL Indiana Room “Treasure Trove” Blog Archives
The Library’s Indiana Room blog archives share a wealth of historical tidbits, focusing primarily on the history of Mooresville and Morgan County, Indiana.
Free Online “Treasure Trove” Handouts
Visit the Library’s local history “treasure trove” web page to view, print, or download free handouts.
Self-Guided Walking Tour, Historic Downtown Mooresville
- Audio tour guide available on CD in Indiana Room Collection.
“Virtual” Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Mooresville, Indiana from Mooresville Public Library