If the Indiana Room is locked, please consult library staff at the
Adult Information Desk or the Circulation Desk.
Can you identify these folks? If so, email us your answers and win a chance to receive a free book about Mooresville, Indiana (featured in our book trailer below; click here for a more detailed description of the book).
ANCESTRY LIBRARY EDITION
Thanks to the Friends of the Library (FOL), MPL subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition (ALE), an online genealogical research database from ProQuest. If you plan to research your family tree, then you’ll want to use this service, which is now available for patrons to use on the library campus. Onsite use only! Access our wireless network at the library or connect via our PCs in the computer lab or Indiana Room. Click the ALE logo below (if you are connected to the library’s computer network or wireless onsite) OR ask for a log-in slip from staff at our circulation, adult information, or Indiana Room desks.
Available at the Library (Click Image to Access Database)
(Funded by the Friends of Mooresville Public Library)
NOTE: You MUST be physically ON THE LIBRARY CAMPUS
(connected to our computer network or wireless) to access ALE
FAMILY HISTORY & GENEALOGY RESEARCH
The MPL Indiana Room focuses upon local (i.e., Morgan County) family histories but has additional genealogical resources available through our web site (e.g., Heritage Quest Online), on the library campus (e.g., Ancestry Library Edition), and in our print collections. More extensive research may be done at the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division (in downtown Indianapolis) and at Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center (in Fort Wayne, Indiana). Visit the U.S. Census Bureau web site for U.S. Census information. For an introduction to the sources and services available for family history research at the Indiana State Library, watch this webinar.
- Morgan County Public Library has a searchable cemetery database for interments in Morgan County, Indiana.
- Morgan County History & Genealogy Association has a website featuring cemetery records, church histories, family histories, government land sales, census records, biographies, maps, military records, migration database, ghost towns, news clippings, newsletters, archives, and other information pertaining to Morgan County, Indiana.
- INGenWeb, part of the USGenWeb Project, has a site devoted to Morgan County genealogical resources.
GENEALOGY RESEARCH FOR HIRE
Need to hire a genealogist to research your ancestry from Morgan County (or elsewhere)? Check with the Morgan County History & Genealogy Association.
OUR INDIANA ROOM COLLECTIONS
- Books & magazines about Indiana subjects.
Local & State History
- Emphasis on Mooresville & Morgan County history; Indiana history resources; Yearbooks for Mooresville schools; Microfilm (local newspapers, magazines); Vertical files (local & state history).
- Ancestry Library Edition online genealogy & history database (onsite use only); Heritage Quest online genealogy & history database; Legacy Links (online local obituary database); Morgan County cemetery records; Local obituary card files & newspaper clippings; Vertical files (family histories, genealogies); Local family histories (books); Microfilm (genealogy); Other genealogical materials.
MPL Indiana Room “Treasure Trove” Blog Archives
The Library’s Indiana Room blog archives share a wealth of historical tidbits, focusing primarily on the history of Mooresville and Morgan County, Indiana.
Free Online “Treasure Trove” Handouts
Visit the Library’s local history “treasure trove” web page to view, print, or download free handouts.
Self-Guided Walking Tour, Historic Downtown Mooresville
- Audio tour guide available on CD in Indiana Room Collection.
“Virtual” Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Mooresville, Indiana from Mooresville Public Library